Saturday, December 8, 2012

Porky Pie

As seen on the Chew this is my version of Michael Symon's (you can find his version here) Pork Pie. Like always, I can't make a recipe as instructed. So this is my take on his version. The fun thing about cooking is tweaking everything to your families liking. I have made a few recipes to a "T" but they are far and few in-between.

1 pound sausage (I used wild boar)
1 pound bacon, chunked
1/2 pound ham, chunked
1 medium onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, chopped
3-4 large baking potatoes, chopped
1 cup water
1 tablespoon parsley
1 tablespoon cilantro
1/4 teaspoon cayenne powder
1/4 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, + a handful more to toss on top of filling
2 pie crusts to fit skillet, (top and bottom)
1 egg

In a stock pot or large skillet cook chunked bacon until crisp or desired doneness. Remove from pan. Remove bacon fat if it you like. (I left bacon fat in, because the sausage I used is very, very lean.) In same pan cook sausage, until no longer pink.

Add ham, bacon, onion, and celery. Cook for 3 minutes. Add chopped potatoes, water, parsley, cilantro, cayenne powder, paprika, salt, and pepper. Mix well, cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are al dente. Stir several times.
While the meat and potatoes are cooking this is a good time to make your pie crusts. I used a recipe from my Better Homes and Gardens New Cook Book copyright 1989. I've been using this no fail recipe for years now. Double Pie Crust recipe found here.

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Roll out bottom crust and fit to skillet and spoon filling into pastry shell.
Add the extra handful of cheese if desired to the filling. Cover with top pastry shell. Roll edges, cut slits in top and brush with egg wash.
Bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 45 minutes or until top is golden brown. When done let rest out of oven for 10 minutes before serving.
This turned out better than I expected. It's also perfect for my husband as he is a meat and potatoes kind of guy. Three meats put him in hog heaven. You can serve this with a nice salad. However, this time I served it with creamed peas and it reminded me of something my grandmother would of put on the table. Nice rustic meal.


Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment