Friday, May 31, 2013

Shaker Pickles

One of the best sweet pickles I have ever made. Super easy and delicious. I use them on sandwiches, burgers or just a nice side condiment. They have a nice crunch when you bite into them too.
10 medium cucumbers, sliced  (maybe more depending on the size of cucumbers)
4-8 onions, sliced

Fill gallon jar with sliced cucumber and onions (depending on taste).

Mix together:
3 1/2 cups sugar
3 cups distilled white vinegar
1/3 cup pickling salt
1 teaspoon alum
1 teaspoon celery seed
1 teaspoon mustard seed
1 teaspoon turmeric

Pour mixture over cucumbers and onions, cap the jar,  give it a shake, and place jar in refrigerator. Shake once a day for six days. Then pickles are ready for use. Store pickles in refrigerator, where they will keep for several months.

Although, this is not a canning recipe I am including it here because during the canning season I put up 6 or so jars for all year eating. Just make them at different stages of the canning season and you should be good to go all winter long. I label them clearly so I know how long they have been in the fridge. That is if I can keep them that long. I've been known to run out. Thanks to friends and family that snatch a jar or two during a visit.

~ Farmgirl




Pin It

No comments:

Post a Comment